My photo
Making moves, taking chances, and enjoying what life brings me along the way.

16.11.10

One Big Holiday

That is how it still feels here in France. I've been here for almost two months and I still can't believe I am living here for the year. Despite the past two weeks of lesson plans and nonstop chatting in French, I still feel like I'm in limbo, waiting for something else to happen. As Radiohead sings so beautifully, "You're living in a fantasy world."

I guess I feel so out of control because despite my best efforts to stick to a set schedule, it never ends up that way. I've gone out searching for a gym, a language course, and art supplies to get into a strict routine like at home, yet I have had no luck. Instead, what seems to happen in France so perfectly, so effortlessly, so beautifully, is spontaneity. At first, this royally pissed me off, not knowing what I was supposed to do for school, where I should go to buy this, when I should do that, etc. Yet, it is quite liberating after all and I have begun to enjoy the random chaotic order of life. Habits may arise out of this spontaneity, like my trips to the hidden fresh fruit and vegetable stand down the street, but that's not always the case.  I have learned to love every moment here in Lyon. For example, yesterday I waited thirty minutes in the pouring rain for the bus. After twenty, I started laughing to myself. Why? I guess maybe I'm starting to shed my American "Right Now, I Have To Be On Time, Me First" attitude. Or maybe I've just come to realize that I can only control so many things in my life and the bus is not one of them, nor will it ever be since my bus never seems to come at the time listed.

Anywho, I digress and should return to my point. I like to explore and my appetite for it won't stop growing.  This past weekend I went to the movies, the circus, and the football (soccer) match. I met Melanie's best friends from elementary school (at another dinner party featuring the raclette) and I cooked a ton of food.

As for the cinema here, let's just say despite the high conversion rate I'd pay 7.40 euros ($10) any day to sit in the big red sofa-like chairs. After watching Les Petits Mouchoirs, I've made another goal: Go to a movie every two weeks. There are so many great films coming out over the next month and despite the option to watch certain movies in English, I will not give into it! The best thing about watching movies in France? I am able to laugh at the same time as everyone else because I'm learning so many familiar terms it is starting to become effortless to understand. Second best thing? Oonagh and I can laugh obnoxiously when the French actors sing songs in English and they make absolutely no sense.

The circus is another story. While it was a beautiful day to walk across the river, it wasn't so nice watching the lions get poked in the behind because they wouldn't do the tricks.









As for the Olympique Lyonnais game, that gets all five stars. I paid nada, nitch, zero to get in (thank you Groupon coupons!) and attended my first European sports match. It was a lovely (windy) night and they won against Nice, 1-0. All in all, a win for me and my new town.

Finally, my cooking. I'll admit, I've never been a cook, but everything happens for a reason and my run into the lovely market has spurred an inner cooking demon who can't stop researching recipes and then does not bother to look at them while in front of the burners.
 Zucchini Bread
 Eggplant and Zucchini Mille-feuilles
 Apple Crisp and Ice Cream

Speaking of food, it's time to make dinner :) A plus mes amis!

No comments:

Post a Comment