My photo
Making moves, taking chances, and enjoying what life brings me along the way.

15.2.11

Al Salam Alaykum

Hello there! So, I guess we can make it official that I was Arabian in a past life. My roommate Tania has claimed for a while now that I was born in the wrong country. She can't get over my secret obsession with Middle Eastern music, especially when all the music played here is American. I didn't take the comment seriously until two of my co-workers, Kenza and Loubna, couldn't believe that I wanted more and more sauce on my couscous.  Apparently, that's how they eat it over there. The more sauce, the better! Here's hoping I can get my belly dance moves down for the end of the year recital at my gym! Then I'd be on my way!

Continuing with the Middle Eastern theme, on Thursday I went to Nawel's apartment to learn how to make Algerian tajine (three variations-two chicken recipes and one lamb). Everything was absolutely delicious!
 
 Chicken tajine with olives, lemons, and lots of herbs!

It does help knowing a bit of Arabic considering I work in a school with tons of Arabic speaking kids. While I'm by no means fluent, I can pick up on phrases and verb tenses when I hear people speak on the bus.

Now, et me paint you a picture here. Yesterday, I was walking out of the boulangerie with my sandwich in my hand and a few of my CM1 kids came up to me. After a few minutes of "How do you say this in English," we parted ways for the two hour lunch break. It was then that one of the boys (who always gives me trouble in class), Fayad, said See you later, Baby.  I turned around and responded in French, "Good try, but I speak Arabic." His jaw dropped and his friends proceeded to laugh hysterically. I now know what Wendy Peffercorn felt like in The Sandlot. I got hit on by a 10 year old and I didn't like it. Perfect timing for Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment