My photo
Making moves, taking chances, and enjoying what life brings me along the way.

18.5.14

Sing Along Sunday: Mamacitas in May

Hello fair readers,

I hope you're enjoying this warmer weather! Today, I made my way to the local nursery and picked up new vegetable plants and flowers for my balcony. (This year's winter was certainly generous with snow; I'm actually glad now that I didn't keep any of my plants past October as I'm sure they wouldn't have made it). Anyway, I sit here, covered it dirt and sweat, and realize that I haven't posted in nearly a month. Eek!



 And what a weird month May has been. Lots of circles: emotionally, physically, and mentally. I swear that I started making a May playlist at the end of April, but my over-thinking got the best of me and I got lost in my mind for a while. A spring funk if you will. But hey, enough with the excuses, let's get down to business already, shall we?

As always, be sure to click on the link to access this month's playlist. You can also follow me on Spotify by clicking here. Please note, you need a Spotify account in order to access my monthly playlists. I've included both the artists and song titles below, so if you're not into Spotify, you can always check out my favorite women however your musical hearts desire.

Be warned, the emotions run high this month!
  1. "Workin' Woman Blues" by Valerie June: Boy, does her voice gives me the chills. I feel my soul being transported to the Blue Ridge Mountains every time I hear this song.
  2. "Just A Little Lovin'" by Carmen McRae: I rediscovered this song while compiling an all around American music mix for a friend.
  3. "Heart Stops" by Anya Marina: I can never seem to play this song only once. You may have heard her voice before as she does the best cover of T.I.'s "Whatever You Like."
  4. "Living Proof" by Cat Power: I grew very fond of Cat Power's music during my sophomore year of college. She's one of those artists that you listen to non-stop and then you give up for greener music scenes. Once you return to her music though, the sound still welcomes you with wide open arms. 
  5. "Trace of You" by Anoushka Shankar and Norah Jones: When musically-inclined step-sisters finally meet, their music takes on a whole new meaning. 
  6. "Chain of Fools" by Aretha Franklin: The soul, the sass, the class.
  7. "Undone in Sorrow" by Crooked Still: Back to a misty meadow I go with this song. The burning ache to return to fiddle hits me every time I listen to this.
  8. "Goddess" by Banks: This gal does something with her songs that is so bizarre, but feels so familiar. I can't explain it in words, though. I cannot wait to see her live next month.
  9. "Dernière Danse" by Indila: I am obsessed with this gal's part in Soprano's "Hiro." I had no idea she had an album out on her own until my dear friend Soumia sent me a link to her latest hit. For a quick translation, go here.
  10. "Sittin In Limbo" by Sarah Dugas: I first heard this song while driving to New Orleans. She sure knows how to sing about her sorrows.
  11. "Listen With Your Heart" by Norah Jane Struthers: I really must have been missing the mountains when I made this playlist.
  12. "Cry Me A River" by Julie London: Why don't songs talk about heartbreak anymore? It's just so beautiful and relatable (sorry, Ke$ha, you just don't do it for me).
  13. "Merry Happy" by Kate Nash: British girls are the best at break-up songs, hands down. You always can learn something from what didn't work out.
  14.  "Hurry On Now" by Alice Russell: Get ready for your troubles to melt away.
  15. "Train In Vain" by Annie Lennox: Annie has been a favorite of mine since childhood.
  16. "Adieu" by Coeur de Pirate: One of my go-to Canadian singers. If you would like a translation of this song, go here. 
  17. "Sand in My Shoes" by Dido: I was obsessed with this song in my teenage years. As summer approaches, this song is perfect for those relationships that are effortless to get involved in, but oh-so-difficult to forget.
  18. "Air Balloon" by Lily Allen: If there's a gal who doesn't give a flying f*** about anyone's opinions, it's Lily. With an album titled, "Sheezus," you have to give her props. Personally, I love her even more because of her music video parodies (check out "Hard Out Here").
  19. "J'ai tant escamonté" by Zaz: This song is a dream, plain and simple.
  20. "Criminal" by Fiona Apple: How could I make a female playlist without including this lady?
  21. "My Blood" by Ellie Goulding: Personally, I think this tops "Burn" on any given day. Another dream-like, fluid composition.
  22. "New Strings" by Miranda Lambert: I know, I know, I claim to hate country...but she's the one country singer that I do admit listening to (probably because of her kick ass attitude).
  23. "My Moon My Man" by Feist: Last, but certainly not least, an old favorite which got me through many work shifts selling jewelry and all things Swedish.
If anything, I hope you have found a few new gals to check out further after this post.

On a side musical note, I was ecstatic to see Chet Faker live this past Thursday. He did a great job and got extra bonus points in my book after telling everyone: "Put down your fucking phones, there's already like 100 versions of this on YouTube. Just enjoy and dance." Preach! I know I got my dance on!


I hope you have a wonderful week!

A la prochaine,

La petite pamplemousse


No comments:

Post a Comment