My photo
Making moves, taking chances, and enjoying what life brings me along the way.

18.1.11

What Would You Do?

Today one of the CE1 girls (equivalent to 1st grade) came up to me during recess and asked me:
Are your parents nice?
I said yes, smiled, and looked back at her expecting her to ask another question. No response.
Are your parents nice too? I asked without thinking.
No. They're mean.

I couldn't stop there; being who I am, I had to ask more questions.

How are they mean?

They used to buy me dolls but threw all my toys away. They don't give me anything anymore. 


My heart dropped. I know there's a deeper story but she seemed so sad just hearing that my parents are nice to me that I didn't want to keep pushing her to talk about it. Plus, the teachers were clapping for the classes to get into line to go back inside.

So, what do you do? Do you try to help the student that comes to you for support? Will one hour of English really make a difference in her life? If you help one kid, what about the rest that you know don't go home to good environments? She's smart as hell, but will her parents' carelessness and unemployment rub off on her as she grows up?

Most days I laugh with the kids at school. Today I wanted to ball my eyes out. Movies like Take the Lead and The Blind Side make this look way too easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment