My photo
Making moves, taking chances, and enjoying what life brings me along the way.

5.6.11

Itza Me, Mario!

Last week I took Thursday and Friday off to have a long weekend with my cousins in Florence, Italy. Unfortunately, my luck with traveling never changes and I missed my train from Rome to Florence, making my trip an extra three hours long (although my cousin Matt definitely has me beat with his story). After catching up with Allison and her roommates, I braced myself for what Italy is so well-known for...it's food. We went to Acqua Al 2 to eat their infamous Blueberry steak. Yes, fruit and steak together on one amazing dish. The most bizarre, yet delicious combination I've had yet (I'm too much of a wuss to try brains here in France). While the picture I took does not do justice (since it looks like a ball of black goo), you can probably tell from the dessert sampler how happy my belly was that night. 

Italy :)
Tiramisu, Strawberry Shortcake, Chocolate Cake, and Cheesecake= <3
Friday morning Allison took me to her favorite church in Florence, the Basilica di Santa Croce. The best part? Paying five euros and then proceeding to be told I needed to buy a poncho to cover my legs (since I was wearing shorts). Once I got the thing out of the vending machine, I was told by someone else that I had not put it on correctly (despite the fact that the ticket man said I could just wrap it around my legs). Who was I offending anyways? There was no mass, no priests, no nuns, no one praying, just tourists! After fifteen minutes of hysterical laughter and discussion about my offensive outfit, we calmed down a bit and I went around snapping shots of the famous Italians buried inside the cathedral.

Front of Basilica di Santa Croce
Everyone dies, true; however, it was insanely bizarre to think that beneath those huge slabs of marble were the decomposed parts of brilliant artists, writers, and scientists who changed the world. Another question for you all: Why would Galileo be allowed to rest there for the rest of time when the Catholic Church banned and cursed him for his blasphemous ideas and only "forgave" him a short while back? Between the covering of my legs, hefty fees to get in, and seeing the ironic placing of Galileo's tomb, I was extremely confused with the Italians only a few hours in Firenze.
Machiavelli

Dante

Michelangelo

Galileo
Napoleon's sister. Funny fact: the tomb is in French, not Italian.
Beautiful frescoes in one of the side chapels
After the Basilica, we wandered around Florence for a bit, checking out jewelry, eating gelato, and sweating our buns off in the sweltering sun. After a quick rest, I crossed over the Arno River to see the Palazzo Pitti, where the Medici family once lived.
Palazzo Pitti
On Saturday morning, Matt and I woke up super early to get into the front of the line for the Duomo and the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore. Much to our despise, it actually opened at 10 (not 8) so we walked over to the Piazza della Signoria where all of the famous sculptures sit outside (including a copy of the David). We also crossed over the Ponte Vecchio to check out more jewelry stores (although most were just opening when we arrived). We made it back to the line just in time and decided to pay another hefty price to get a tour of the cathedral, terraces, and top of the Duomo. Hands down, the best 12 euros I spent on this trip. Within five minutes I had transferred back to my AP European History class in high school, examining Dante and the Divine Comedy, learning about construction changes, and looking out across the red roofs of Florence, listening to tourist guide explain how the city formed. One fun fact for you all: The sides and the front of the Cathedral are completely different. The front wasn't finished until the late 19th century. The front used to be plain so that it could be decorated according to who was in town or what event was happening in Florence at the time. A contest was held for the current design (which goes quite well with the rest of the building despite the time lapse).

The fake David (I was not paying 8 euros just to see the real one, sorry Florence).
Hercules holding Medusa's head.
Ponte Vecchio
Closed gold jewelry shops. I saw one man open his shop by unscrewing and taking off each of the wooden hinge doors.
Heaven






Dante and the Divine Comedy

Giotto's Campanile (bell tower) and the Piazza del Duomo

Amazing marble floors from the terrace
The line at 11 am to get into the Basilica/Duomo

One of the statues that used to be outside the Basilica on the top levels. It's made of plaster and still standing after five centuries!

The infamous artwork on the Duomo's ceiling; Vasari started the fresco in 1572, but it was completed by Federico Zuccaro.
Heaven and Hell; the one monster is eating five people at the same time. I'd be convinced back then if this was my church.

The Gates of Paradise, by Lorenzo Ghiberti on the Baptistery

The Baptistery
Matt and I sat up on the top of the Duomo for a while just thinking about how fortunate we were to be able to say, "Hey let's go over to Florence for the weekend and visit Allison." Furthermore, our general time here in Europe. We just sat there smiling, looking out at this view, loving life. Loving the decision we made to come out here despite other people's critiques and disapproval. We may not be well off but we could care less; we're happy.
Firenze from the top of the Duomo
We had an amazing lunch near the markets, consisting of octopus and tomato salad, pesto pasta, and spaghetti with shrimp. We then headed up the hill to the Piazza Michelangelo to get another view of the city. On our way back down we stopped for Nutella and almond gelato.
Firenze from afar
We also stopped in the Chiesa di Ognissanti on the way back to Allison's apartment. This one was free (shocking) and actually a lot prettier inside than a lot of the others I had to pay to get into that weekend. Again, another surprise for me. Giotto's Croce Dipinta rests inside one of the side chapels. Five points for me for stumbling upon it (and then minus 1 point for being such a history/art nerd).
After a long nap, everyone headed out to a small family run restaurant and then out to check out Florence's night life.
Giotto's Croce Dipinta, 1310




  On Sunday I headed to the Medici Chapel before my trains, planes, and buses back to Lyon. I was unsure of paying six euros on Saturday, but since I didn't wake up in time to get into the Uffizi before the lines started, I decided to go back to the family's chapel. Once inside, I felt an overwhelming sense of inferiority. In the first room there were five enormous marble tombs as well as a fresco explaining multiple Biblical stories. I turned around in circles multiple times (probably with my mouth wide open in shock). Holy Moley were these people rich. I remember studying how they owned this and that, but you don't really understand the definition of wealth until you see how people bury their family. Oh and to add to it all, Michelangelo designed the second room for the family as well as a statue of the Virgin Mary and Jesus for the top of one of the tombs (he died before he could finish this room). Can you imagine? Between their palace and this chapel, I can only imagine the rest of their intricately designed homes and vacation spots.

The frescoes on the ceiling.

The two rooms; only two of the five statues remain on top of the tombs in the first room.
Although this was probably one of the more expensive trips thus far, it was well worth the money.  Although I didn't see the Jersey Shore cast, I can still sleep tight being able to now say that I've been to Florence.
Ciao everyone! Prego for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment