My photo
Making moves, taking chances, and enjoying what life brings me along the way.

24.2.12

Petit Section Picasso's in Process

As promised, here is a quick look at our winter themed arts and crafts!

With the snowman, we focused on circles; first we stamped the snow with wine corks and then we counted in English the number of "coal" circles we used for the eyes, mouth, and buttons. We made the snowflakes by mixing shaving cream and white glue (which gave it a puffy paint feel and look). Finally, we painted with watercolor ice cubes! An ingenious idea (thanks fellow teachers for sharing your ideas on the internet!). The kids loved this and started giggling once they realized that the ice cube was melting right in their own hands!







Since my children are just beginning to use scissors, I opted out of the paper cut out design snowflakes and went for these cool (but fragile) ear swab and glue snowflakes.



Another easy, cute craft: Handprint polar bears. I told the children to finger paint the snow (ahem, blizzards).



Of course we had to talk about penguins too! I'm regretting that I didn't make my own paper mache penguin with the children. This project definitely reinforced learning how to be patient (and above all not to be a perfectionist). The flour paste was all over the place!


Next, we celebrated Carnaval early at school (since it occurs during our February holiday.) Everyone dressed up (much like Halloween), sang, danced, and ate tons of sugary goodies (crepes, gaufres, bugnes, candy, etc.) A very energetic last day before break!



Of course with Valentine's Day coming up,  I couldn't resist focusing on friendship and love our last week before break. They were hysterical with their answers about kissing boys/girls. Then after singing our songs I told them to hug one of their friends. Nearly all of them came up to hug and kiss me.....tears, sigh, ahhhh gotta love my little French babies.

Our love bugs


They amaze me every day! 

Homemade Valentine's Day bags

My little Valentine's Day present (thanks Mom for the candy)


Finally, last week I was in charge of the vacation activities. I chose "Pirates" as our theme of the week. It went pretty well considering I had 20 children (varying in age from 3 to 10 years old). The boys were really into the fighting aspect and the girls loved the buried treasure. We even ate pirate themed snacks! Over the course of the week, we made a big boat out of cardboard, swords, eyepatches, hooks, and spyglasses, as well as our own pirate flag! Only thing I regret? Telling them we had to fight an octopus to get across the ocean...apparently that will cause nightmares. 

YARRR

Sailing into the sunset!

On our treasure hunt!

The map we found in a bottle :)
That's all I have to recount as far as school goes (well at least until I go back to school on Monday.) Next up, my adventures in the Alps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment